Although Genital Herpes is not a serious disease, it is an incurable one that is sexually transmitted. HSV will not cause any other health conditions to develop. Treatments can be prescribed to infected individuals after an accurate diagnosis is made that usually include an anti-viral medication. For many, the worst part of genital herpes is the outbreaks. These can be frequent and uncomfortable. There are some ways to bring symptomatic relief to those suffering genital herpes. In the following, there are some suggestions for relieving the symptoms associated with outbreaks of genital Herpes. Some of these suggestions are natural methods that have been found to bring great relief too many people.
- Extreme relief can be found by soaking in a warm salt bath. These healing salts work by cleaning, soothing and drying out the lesions or sores that accompany an outbreak. Epsom salts are an excellent choice for these soaking baths. Only a couple of handfuls will need to be added to the water. Water should be very warm.
- After bathing or showering, one option in drying the areas affected by sores is to use a hair dryer. Individuals should choose a hair dryer that will not heat up too quickly or one that has many different heat settings. Using too much heat can damage the sores further. When a proper heat setting is used, drying areas with sores can be very comfortably accomplished. Towel drying is often very painful for many.
- Underwear worn by those suffering an outbreak should be made of top quality cotton. Cotton is a very absorbent material. Moisture will be better absorbed than it would be with materials that are synthetic. The genital area will be kept dryer leading to added comfort for the individual. Undergarments should be loose and not tight and constricting. These can cause outbreaks to increase in severity and frequency.
- Over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen can help in reducing any pain as well as fever that may be caused by genital herpes. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory that can decrease inflammation around lesions or sores. These should only be taken according to the directions on the packaging. Physicians should be alerted to any OTC medications or herbal medicines being taken by the infected individual.
- Avoid overexposure to sunlight. Individuals should not become overly fatigued. Stress and skin irritation in the genital area should be avoided as well. These can all trigger outbreaks of genital herpes.
- Garlic can be added to food such as pasta. Garlic is reported to be a strong opponent of the herpes virus. It helps strengthen the immune system. There are garlic supplements for those who do not like to eat garlic.
- Individuals should always drink lots of water. This will help to dilute urine avoiding painful urination.
- Toilet paper can be painful when used during certain outbreaks. Medicated hemorrhoid pads can be used instead or simple baby wipes until lesions or sores have healed.
Never use cortisone creams on genital herpes outbreaks. This will only make the outbreak more severe and often very painful.