Klonopin is part of a group of drugs that have a complex effect on humans. In the practice of treatment of dependence on opiates, this substance helps to remove the withdrawal syndrome. Having assessed the severity of the condition against the background of the abolition of the drug, you can use both Klonopin monotherapy and its combination with other drugs used in detoxification.
In medicine, this drug causes:
- miorelaxation (relaxation of muscle tissue);
- anxiolytic effect (withdrawal of anxiety and fears);
- anticonvulsant action (with epileptic seizures).
Klonopin for the removal of opiate withdrawal syndrome
The use of the drug is justified to eliminate:
- fears and anxiety;
- pain and tension in the muscles;
- lack of appetite;
- aggression and excitement;
- restless legs syndrome – RLS, manifested by hypersensitivity, itching, pain;
Features of Klonopin application
Before taking drug, you should consider some features:
- Its action can be manifested individually. Some complaints can be eliminated completely, while others can’t withdrawal at all, or be slightly facilitated.
- You should be ready to replace Klonopin with other anxiolytics.
- The drug can be addictive, so the duration of its use should be limited.
- There is a possibility of an overdose.
- Some people against the background of taking the drug may develop excessive mental and physical depression.
How does Klonopin work and in what form is it produced
The composition of the tablets includes different amounts of the main active substance. Pharmaceutical companies produce Klonopin with doses: from 0, 125 mg, to 2.0 mg.
Biochemical effects are based on:
- Increased inhibition of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) transmission of nerve impulses. This gives an anticonvulsant effect.
- Slowing the excitability of cortical and subcortical structures of the nervous tissue, which leads to a decrease in anxiety and fear, eliminates the excessive emotional tension.
- The change in metabolism in the structures of the brainstem, which leads to the removal of general anxiety.
How to take Klonopin for opiate withdrawal
In the treatment it is important to follow all recommendations. In this case, the result of therapy will be better. To select an adequate dose, duration of reception, correctly to distribute the multiplicity should only the doctor. Best in the clinic. Self-administration is less effective and dangerous with the development of complications.
- The doctor tries to stop at the minimum and acceptable effective dose;
- The reception should be continued as little as possible. On average, this period is 3-4 days. Sometimes more. This measure is necessary to prevent the development of dependence.
- The average one-time dose is 0.5 mg. In the most severe cases, or at night, it can be increased to 2.0 mg.
Drugs are taken orally. Observance of the rules established by the doctor, allows to reduce manifestation of opiate abstinence much.
What side effects can there be?
In some cases, complications develop on the background of taking Klonopin. Their frequency and intensity depends on the individual characteristics of the patient.
Most often are such side effects:
- severe fatigue, weakness and drowsiness;
- headache and dizziness;
- impaired coordination of movements, staggering gait;
- visual disorders, double vision;
- difficulty in speaking, deterioration of memory with disorientation, loss of attention;
- emotional and volitional instability, sharp mood swings;
- apathy, depression;
- inflammatory manifestations in the upper respiratory tract;
- disorders of the digestive system with flatulence, constipation, bouts of pain and discomfort in the abdomen;
- violation of sexual function, decreased libido;
- delay, or frequency of urination.
There are can be changes in the blood: a decrease in the number of major blood cells, an increase in the concentration of alkaline phosphatase, transaminase.
This problem can arise with the uncontrolled reception of Klonopin.
The patient has:
- slowing of heart rate and lowering of blood pressure;
- excessive weakness and drowsiness, up to confusion;
- trembling in the body, breathing disorders (shortness of breath and uneven breathing excursions);
- comatose state with oppression of the respiratory and cardiovascular center;
In this case, it is required to immediately stop taking the drug, to perform gastric lavage with drugs that have the properties of adsorbents, to prescribe symptomatic treatment.
If Klonopin is taken for a long time, its effect is weakened. Do not abruptly discontinue the medication, as depriving the patient of a dose may give an abstinence syndrome. Alcohol is categorically contraindicated for all patients. It is not recommended on the background of taking the medicine sits down for driving a car.
Acute symptoms of opiate addiction withdrawal for several days. It should be borne in mind that anxious and panic attacks, mood swings and other problems can be observed for a long time. Any person who takes opioid-based medicines requires the mandatory support of a psychotherapist.